Friday, May 29, 2009

Meet new member - Jon Makler


Jon Makler, AICP is the Education and Technology Transfer Program Manager for the Oregon Transportation Research and Education Consortium (OTREC), a National University Transportation Center. He has approximately 10 years of professional experience with public, private and academic organizations. His areas of subject matter expertise include transportation planning, air quality, transportation operations and ITS, environmental justice, homeland security and metropolitan planning organizations. He holds a Master of Science in Transportation from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a Bachelor of Arts from Swarthmore College. A native of Philadelphia, Jon spent about 7 years in the Boston area before moving to his current home in Portland, Oregon.

When asked about his views on technology transfer, Jon responded, "In the first few months in this position, I've learned that technology transfer has many different meanings. The focus on commercialization and intellectual property seems to be the traditional meaning and is foremost to some, though it is hardly mentioned in my office. Our focus at OTREC is on pushing knowledge from our researchers to practitioners, especially around the state. I usually say that I'm "in the import/export business" and it's only half a joke.

I'm acutely aware that while I'm busy pushing and pulling information for other people, I'm under-investing in my own methods and techniques. I'm counting on this committee to be my primary conduit to how others are succeeding or struggling with my plight."

No comments: